Worried about your water bill?
Four steps you can take

Man and woman reading a bill

Many customers are understandably worried about their water bill.

Here are four steps you can take to reduce the worry.

1. Talk to your water company

Woman carrying baby while talking on the phone

If you're struggling with your bills, first to talk to your water company.

It can seem like a scary or uncomfortable conversation to say to a company that you are struggling with your bills, but it is the first step towards getting things sorted.

There are all sorts of schemes on offer that could help by reducing your bills, smoothing payments, or helping with debt.

Please, pick up the phone or send an email your water company – it is the best first step towards getting help.

Person texting on a mobile
Person texting on a mobile

2. Install a water meter

Water meter

Second, explore if you could be better off by getting a water meter installed.

If you have a meter, it means you pay for what you use, not just a set, flat amount. If you are a smaller household, or low water user, that might help you save money. Again, you can talk to your water company.

This calculator might help give you an idea if it is the right thing for you to do: Water Meter Calculator | CCW (ccwater.org.uk)

Person helping child wash their hands in a kitchen sink
Person helping child wash their hands in a kitchen sink

3. Check what support you're entitled to

Man speaking on video call with headset

Third, make sure you are getting the support you are entitled to. 

People's situations are regularly changing and having the right support can help.

This benefits calculator might help you explore if you are getting all of the help you are entitled to: Benefits Calculator | CCW.

4. Reach out to wider support services

Person looking concerned, listening to someone.

Fourth, understand who else might be able to help you.

If you would like to seek external guidance, why not contact someone such as CCW.

Ofwat logo, Crown Copyright 2022, with website www.ofwat.gov.uk